Why Colonel Sartoris?

Allow me to explain the puzzling title. Colonel Sartoris is William Faulkner's greatest character. He exemplifies those values that his society cherishes, namely tradition, patriarchy, courtliness, and courage. Though modernity's slow march tries to strip him of these things, Sartoris continues to live as he always has, knowing that "the past is never dead. It's not even past." He seeks order in the honorable folkways and mores of his forbears. Let us not forget his example.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Herman's Hijinks

So Herman Cain has been labeled as a sexual harrasser.  Not good.

This has Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings written all over it.

I really like Herman Cain.  ColSartoris has obviously not given its official endorsement to any candidate, yet, but Cain's forthrightness, energy, and biography all really excite me.  These penile peccadillos, however, do not sit well with me.  I would like to throw my weight behind a candidate who doesn't require discretion to hide his boorishness or his blunders.  I would like a candidate who is morally upright; that is not something too hard to ask for, so I certainly hope that these rumors aren't true.

Beyond my own predilections, however, is the question whether Cain can (not should) continue on with his campaign.  Apparently, the American public will forgive Bill Clinton for this, so Herman Cain's candidacy may still survive.  But this charge comes at perhaps the least opportune time.  He's had great performances in recent debates.  And, to the extent that polls can accurately measure a candidate's "performance," they have told us that his presence in debates has translated into higher support among Republican voters.  Indeed, Cain, in the last two months, has surged noticeably in the polls.  This news, then, comes at a very bad time for him.

Cain spoke at the National Press Club today in Washington.  I liked what I saw of his speech there.  Hopefully, I can digest some of the criticism/evaluation of his speech there tonight, and I hope to be back tomorrow with a more thorough, thoughtful reflection on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment