Why Colonel Sartoris?

Allow me to explain the puzzling title. Colonel Sartoris is William Faulkner's greatest character. He exemplifies those values that his society cherishes, namely tradition, patriarchy, courtliness, and courage. Though modernity's slow march tries to strip him of these things, Sartoris continues to live as he always has, knowing that "the past is never dead. It's not even past." He seeks order in the honorable folkways and mores of his forbears. Let us not forget his example.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Music

The last two months have been very fertile song-writing ground. I'm reminded of a quotation by C.S. Lewis: "Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

Anyone who knows me will tell you that my musical tastes are not advanced. They are diverse, but they do not seek out creativity or novelty. Just give me a good riff and a pithy, sentient lyric. That's all I need. "Three chords and the truth," if you will.

Maybe I'll put some lyrics up. Until then, just check me out when I get the courage to do an open-mic night here in Chapel Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment